Saturday, May 5, 2007

Exhausted in West Texas!

Exhausted in West Texas! We rolled into the Fort Stockton KOA on Thursday at 6:30 pm after a very brief visit to Austin, TX. In Austin,we went to Freddies in South Austin for dinner, because a brochure Aimee picked up from the RV park in Austin had a picture of this place that I was sure I had gone to in ’90 to ’95. Freddies looked identical to place I had gone to that I was thought was called Chevy’s and served Mexican food, but it only served burgers and other stuff, no Mexican food. I asked the waitress if they used to serve Mexican food, because I was sure I had been here 15 years ago and she said Freddies had only been open 3 years, but it was a different place before that. After Freddies, we drove to 6th street, which is the hopping College scene. But, on a Wednesday at 6:30 pm the only people hanging out where 40 something good ole boy conventioneers.

When we rolled into our spot in Fort Stockton, a good ole Texan named Randy greeted me with a beer. As I connected our utilities he told me about how deserted El Paso was on 911; nothing was moving on the streets since everyone had been called back to the base and the border was shut down. Randy had just move into the KOA on April 21st and was planning on staying there for 2 and half years. His fifth wheel definitely had some living done in it. Since we had no food to cook, I went to the Road Runner Café at the KOA and had some Barbeque Ribs that were the specialty of the day. According to Randy they are they special every day. The ribs were actually slow roasted pork shops served with overcooked canned green beans and mashed potatoes, but the Coors light was only $1.95!
We got up Friday morning and left at around 9:30 am for Ruidoso, New Mexico.

No comments: