Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Bryce Canyon

We’re about to leave Bryce Canyon, actually Cannonville, Utah, which is a bustling community of 150 souls. It has a little store and a motel. The post office is a little room inside the tiny Town Hall. Aimee said it is reminiscent of the Andy Griffith show.

Prior to coming to Bryce Canyon we spent 4 nights in Moab, Utah. I got to ride the famous Slick Rock mountain bike trail! It’s supposed to be the most technically challenging and physically demanding trail in this mountain bike mecca. It was definitely physically challenging, all the short steep down hills followed by the very step short up hills sapped my energy. I got a really early start; I was on the trail a little after 7 am and was only 1 of 3 out on the trail. I started with the practice loop, because the sign at the trailhead warned of the technical difficulty and suggested that newbies try the practice loop first before hitting the main trail. After completing the practice loop and discovering that it was within my technical abilities, I hit the main trail. I soon came upon two other guys on the trail, I passed them and cranked my way up a very steep uphill. While resting at the top, they passed me by. I soon came upon them when the first guy stopped and said to his buddy there are few 4 foot drops ahead, let’s watch this guy do it. I was a little apprehensive of 4-foot drop offs, but proceeded anyways. It was really a series of 2-foot drops offs, but I cleared them with ease. For the next two hours on the trail I didn’t see a single sole; it was very serene. I did get a little concerned that I took a wrong turn, because after I passed a turn off, I expected to seen another one in 2 tenths of a mile, but it was a very long time coming. I finally came upon two other riders ridding in the opposite direction, I asked them if the were riding clockwise, they said yes. This was very good since I was riding counter clockwise.

As I got closer to the trailhead, I began to come across many mountain bike riders. It was very nice to get out early and avoid the throng of riders! I did receive a few complements on my riding abilities, which was very nice! The slick rock trail was very enjoyable, not too technically demanding. I’d do it again, given the chance. Next time in Moab, I’d like to do the Porcupine Ridge trail. It would be better to do it earlier in the year since it’s longer and it gets hot out there quick!

After the slick rock ride, I was back at the RV by 10:30 as a I promised Aimee. After a quick shower, we went out and took a tour of Arches National Park. It was pretty cool to see all the arches. I don’t know what all the hub bub is about delicate arch, because I think the spectacles and Landscape Arch were much cooler.

The following day, Aimee drove to Telluride and I stuck around the RV park. In the morning I did a short two-hour ride from the RV park out into the desert toward Arches National park. I ran into a fence with an opening that declared I was at the Arches national park boundary and that no Mountain Bikes were allowed! The bastards! It was a friggin desert with nothing around. Anyways I found a bunch of riding to do just outside the park boundary.

The next morning we got up and drove to Bryce Canyon. On the way we drove through Escalante Grand Staircase. It really isn’t something you want to do in an RV! There are many steep upgrade and steep downgrades. The RV was whining like a teenage girl! At one point the road was barely two lanes wide with thousand foot drop offs on both sides and no guard rail!

Yesterday we drove through Bryce Canyon National Park. After a quick tour, I had Aimee drop me off and I did a one and half hour hike through the Hoodoo’s. It is much better to see them from below, than from the viewpoints just off the road. It was very cool. The Indians believe that the gods turned people to stone right where they were working.

Today we drove to Zion. It’s not quite as cool as Bryce, but definitely impressive. I hike up to Angel’s point but chickened out just after Chicken out point, since the trail was barely a foot wide with 6 thousand foot drop offs on each side. There was a chain to hold on to, but that wasn’t enough for me! I really didn’t think I was afraid of height until this point. I was actually more freaked out about freaking out than actually being freaked out. I didn’t want to freeze up on some ledge and have to have someone come and talk me down. So I turned around and came back down the mountain. I was a little ashamed, but was alive!

Abandoning Angels point gave me the time to do the river walk and wade up the Virgin River, which winds it’s way through thousand foot tall and 20 foot wide box canyons. That walk was definitely worth the hike! I’ll try to post some pictures soon!

No comments: