Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Great Smokey National Park

So we started our trip! We left Sunday a little after 10 am and our plan was to leave at 7:30 am and drive 9 hours to Great Smokey National Park. Due to a few technical difficulties, one of which was I couldn't remove the 2" Hitch Ball from my truck and put it on the RV so a drive to WalMart was required, we didn't leave as planned.


On the drive down Aimee said she wanted to drop by Blacksburg for an hour to walk the campus and go to the bookstore. Thinking to myself I was a little hesitant, but since this was supposed to be an adventure and due to the tragedy there last Monday, I decided why not. We drove into VT and I dropped Aimee off at the bookstore. I promptly get stuck in traffic, but found a quick out and three spots on the street I could steal for an hour. I found Aimee in the bookstore, she bought $80 of Tech stuff, and we headed back to the RV. Since it was already 4:15, we decided to stay overnight at a nearby RV park in Christiansburg. It was classy! Here are two pictures from the Interstate RV park! This is our home:



Here is our neighbor across the way.

It looks like he has been here a while! Aimee said she saw our neighbor pop his head out of his humble abode, but I didn't get to see him. I guess he doesn't have a vehicle to get around in.

I took a shower in the RV park facilities. The showers were at the entrance of the RV park just off the highway. That tune from Deliverance was going through my head. After the shower we headed in Blacksburg for a few beers and some food from Souvlakis!

We left our humble abode around 8am and headed for Tennessee. Stopped along the way to fill up the tank, $159 for 59 gallons of gas. I checked the gas mileage, 7 miles per gallon. Not as good as I wished, but within the range I read on RV forums.

We arrived yesterday at Smoky Bear Campground took a very short hike 50 minutes and headed to Super WalMart for supplies.

3 comments:

jhallq said...

Hey Steig and Aimee,

Excellent! Let the adventures begin. Let's hope this is the worst of the parks you stay in.

Jhallq

Unknown said...

Yee-haw and bone vo yaggeee!

That thing is bigger and better equipped than my first apartment!

I'm looking forward to reading. Keep it up!

jhallq said...

Hey,

Post more often.